Mid Wales Hospital, known as Talgarth Asylum. Due to increasing demand on other nearby mental hospitals, a new one was needed and a 261 acre estate called Chancefield was purchased and in 1900 a new asylum was under construction. Three years later it was officially opened as the Brecon and Radnor Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum.
The hospital was designed around the compact arrow layout, where a series of wards are on the outside of the side, all connected by a long ring of corridors, with kitchen and other facilities in the centre of the site. Like other buildings of the time this one was also self sufficient with its own farm land for patients to work on, its own electricity and boiler house.
The asylum was relatively small with a capacity of around 352 when it opened – Six classes of ward were designated for Acute, Chronic, Epileptic and Infirm patients along with an admissions ward and a separate ward for sick patients with six males wards to the west and separate female wards to the east.
A second courtyard on the east side served as a drying court for the laundry buildings which surrounded it. Between the two on the hospitals central Axis stood the administration block.
During the Second World War patients were transferred from Cardiff City Mental Hospital which had been requisitioned as a war hospital however in July 1940 Mid Wales Hospital was also requisitioned and patients were temporarily transferred elsewhere until it was returned to normal use in 1947. It was the following year, when the NHS was founded, when the hospital had some of its most radical changes. Patients were allowed to mix for the first time, regardless of their gender, and new treatments were being offered including psychiatry, chiropody and electro-convulsive therapy.
As treatments changed over the coming decades, most psychiatric asylums began to close and the Mid Wales Hospital steadily reduced its services until it closed in 1999, serving the community for 96 years. Controversially, once the site had closed the estate was sold to the former Chief Medical officer for just £227,000 – something which was later investigated. Nothing became of the site, aside from a handful of homes being sold, and it stood derelict for years. The roof tiles of the majority of the site have been stripped and sold off – valued at around £1 million. Unfortunately most of the site is in an awful condition with collapsed floors and burnt roofs so it’s unlikely that most of the site will be salvageable however there’s hope for the admin building and church.
Tazmaniavibes@gmail.com
©Copyright. All rights reserved.
We need your consent to load the translations
We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details in the privacy policy and accept the service to view the translations.